Friday, December 25, 2009

Over the River and Through the Woods


Actually it is up the turnpike and through the swamp for a Florida Christmas. There is something to be said about a green Christmas. No jackets, gloves or mittens. No boots or scarves and no snow, just a sunny day decorated with stately palm trees and colorful flowers. My memory bank is filled to capacity with winter scenes and I can download them at will. I almost felt nostalgic watching a Christmas movie (one of the thousands that have been plaguing the television screen for the past several weeks). But the nostalgia disappeared pretty quickly when I remembered driving on slippery roads and freezing my buns off in spite of being swaddled in many layers of clothing.

So today I will don my Christmas duds with my painted toenails peeking out of strappy sandals and make the long drive to Uncle Bruce’s and Christmas dinner. A buffet will be set up on the counter because I don’t think the table could possibly hold all the goodies and holiday fare without groaning under the weight. Only two dieters in the crowd – me (of course) and my boyfriend. So there will be every kind of casserole, ham, turkey, potato and dessert you can think of. All finished off with either a generous slab of butter, covered with marshmallows or globs of whipped cream.
Fortunately I had the good sense to take the time and prepare my famous roasted vegetable enchiladas, possibly one of the best recipes I have ever created. Butternut squash, sweet potatoes, onions, red peppers, carrots and mushrooms with sunflower seeds, roasted garlic and corn wrapped in whole wheat tortillas and topped with green salsa and a bit of cheese. I promise to share the recipe with you very soon.
Have a super special day and a very Merry Christmas!

No comments: