Saturday, May 15, 2010

Weight Watchers Follows You Everywhere!

Sorry, friends, for having taken some time off. I bought a new condo and have been so busy moving, cleaning, organizing, etc., that I haven't had a spare moment to write. Today, however, I have just returned from a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas, rested and ready to get back to business at hand.

I have to catch you up on what's been going on. Many of you have written asking how my hula hooping was going. I do have to tell you that my first day, being in hooper's heaven, I overdid it and happily hooped for over an hour and a half. I wound up with enormous bruises around my midsection! So my advice to those of you who want to have some fun while exercising -start slow. Maybe 15 minutes at a time. Don't whirl like a dervish the way I did!

Let me tell you about the cruise... an opportunity to sit back, relax and eat to my heart's content. I was tempted to blow the diet and just enjoy but as fate would have it, after sitting down for my first meal and happily nibbling on a Caesar's piled high with tons Parmesan cheese and way too much dressing, introductions were made at our table. Mike and George, two married men curiously escaping together from their wives for a long weekend were charming. And Ruth and her sister (who prefers to remain nameless) lived far from one another were having a sister's weekend. My mother and I were traveling by ourselves, enjoying some mother-daughter quality time.

So this is how it went, I ordered my meal and except for the salad, I did pretty well. The grilled salmon and veggies were off the Vitality Menu and well within my points range. The salad, however, raised by point consumption through the roof. Of course I drooled over everyone else's food at the table, lots of carbs, fat and oodles of calories, except for the second sister who ate like a model of healthy dining.

We learned a lot about each other over the course of dinner and I found out - and you are not going to believe this - that the second sis was none other than a Weight Watcher group leader on vacation! Oh no, I thought, now I have no choice but to be good! Weight Watcher's had followed me on vacation.

I was actually glad to have her there. If not I might not have been content with the two spoonfuls of tiramisu or several bites of the warm chocolate souffle. But as fate would have it, I admitted to having lost 40 pounds and to being just 3 pounds away from my goal. I felt obliged to be on my best behavior.

Sis was great, passing along her knowledgeable dining tips and being a perfect WW role model. She was careful with what was on her plate, usually left something over and was not afraid to order special foods, which the crew was more than happy to prepare. No sauce, steamed vegetables, plenty of cocktail sauce for her shrimp, etc. But I was happy to see she left room for something she enjoyed - wine. There was a seemingly unending supply of wine for the sisters and she wasn't afraid to imbibe. I figured she was using her extra 35 points in wine, while I sneaked an extra spoonful or two of dessert.

So like an alter-ego, Weight Watchers was right there with me on Her Majesty of the Seas. We all had a really good time but I am not in a hurry to step on the scale.

How do you handle your vacations? Have you ever had someone you didn't want to cheat in front of?

No comments: