Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Battle Within

I have two selves and, no, I am not a mental case. There is my fat self and my thin self. The thin me picks a garden fresh salad over a burger and fries. The thin me goes to the gym regularly and almost always makes the right food choices. At the moment the thin me is in control. But the fat me lurks behind the scenes, drooling over the display of chocolate bonbons in the store window, ogling the cakes and pies in the bakery department of my favorite gourmet market and inhaling the heavenly aroma of their freshly baked bread. The fat me thinks up excuses why it would be OK to indulge in a rich treat, a reward for being so good, and why I deserve to skip a day or two at the gym. The battle between my two selves, like so many major wars, is never ending.

Control, that’s the key to the weight loss game. Control your fat self, control what you eat, your portion size and your physical activity. Lack of control can lead to overindulgence and weight gain. Believe me, I speak from experience.
Make the right choices, keep at least half your plate filled with plant based foods. Eating a wide variety of whole foods not only insures a balanced diet but makes mealtimes more interesting, making you less likely to go for that guilty pleasure. Educate yourself so you know what to put on your plate. Try new recipes, use a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Plan ahead. Keep your fat self happy, if you must, with a small serving of what you're craving, while your thin self maintains control.
There is a no nonsense guide to making healthy choices at www.HelpGuide.org that includes excellent strategies for a healthy diet. Check it out and let me know what you think.

No comments: